Beyond Belief: Islamic Excursions Among the Converted Peoples
|Author||Vidiadhar Surajprasad Naipaul|
This is a book about one of the more important and unsettling issues of our time. But it is not a book of opinion. It is - in the Naipaul way - a very rich and human book, full of people and stories. Islam is an Arab religion, and it makes imperial Arabizing demands on its converts. In this way it is more than a private faith; and it can become a neurosis. What has this Arab Islam done to the histories of Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan and Malaysia? How do the converted peoples view their past - and their future? In a follow-up to AMONG THE BELIEVERS, his classic account of his travels through these countries, V. S. Naipaul returns after a gap of seventeen years to find out how and what the converted preach. A startling and revelatory addition to the Naipaul canon, BEYOND BELIEF confirms the author's reputation as a masterful observer, a 'finder-out' of stories, as well as a magnificent teller of them. 'An admirable, thinking traveller ...a born narrator in the small or large scene. His strength lies in the tense pitch of his enquiry and in his narrative that brings people and landscape to life in flashes of telling detail' V.S. Pritchett
- This book's edges have obvious foxed spots.
- Apart from the visible brown foxed spots - the overall condition is good!
- All books listed do not have annotations on reading pages, loose pages, water stains, and broken spines
- Some may have names or short messages written on the flyleaf of the book
- 100% refund if we fail to meet your expecations - no question asked.
(Sample image only)